The last time I watched Forrest Gump five years ago, I was still a teenager clueless than ever before (I'm clueless now too, but with a direction) trying to find a way to express myself. A friend from the neighborhood gave me five movies in my newly bought flash drive for me to watch and that has stuck to become a habit for me ever since. And as a teenager trying to find a voice (and as an young adult, trying to find my voice harder still) I tried to get an opinion on the things I wanted to have an opinion on, irrespective of the truth I felt or the truth I had to understand. To get noticed I disliked things that many people liked (I still dislike many things which many people like - but the question isn't very statistically accurate now that I see it, I might perceive me to be a part of the minority when I might not be) and it started out with popular cinema and that impression has stuck ever since (first for the voice and later that voice became the taste, in campy horror films I found my voice and then later in campy horror movies I found my taste). 

One of the first movies that I vehemently disliked when I watched it for the first time five years ago, was Robert Zemeckis' Forrest Gump and the reasons behind my dislike for the movie are quite hazy now, but if I can recollect well enough, it had something to do with people liking to see losers to win in the movies. I had, by accident, a chance to prove myself wrong tonight, as I found an old disc of Forrest Gump lying around and I decided to watch a part of the movie that I wanted to revisit since the first time - the film's use of Jackson Browne's 'Running on Empty', a song which was my only take away from the movie. But I ended up watching the movie from the half an hour mark and not for a second did I want to bulge from my seat in front of the computer. Looking at the movie now, it made a lot of sense (probably not as much maybe, I have my doubts now) especially when I realized when I was wrong about my idea of Forrest being a loser. 

Post college, which has been a year for now, I have in many ways tried to understand the proper way to lead a life, to find inspiration and to live. As I was plunged neck deep in the rat race five years ago, Forrest seemed like a loser, now, today, he is the right kind of hero I'd want to be learning from. Behind all the complexities I thought constitute a man's personality, I found false inspiration. As a person, more of these matter to me now, freedom, love and happiness. And the faith in the belief that infinite love leads to infinite happiness. And it is in Forrest I've seen such happiness (towards the end of the movie, Forrest ends up as one of the happiest movie characters I've seen) because of his capacity to love and be simple. Simple in choice of things and simple in deeds. And Forrest didn't aspire to become any of those, he was simply himself, he loved. That's a good takeaway (and I'm not the movie morality demanding person technically, considering my interests lie in severed guts and fake blood) from a movie that has all the phlegm developing qualities of a Spielberg production, something which has been digestible for once. 

Shit happens.
Keep smiling.
But don't forget running.

P.S.: Watched some really great movies this week (advantages of falling sick you might say) and I was never into sharing the names of movies I watch (I have this selfish thing going inside me where I never wanted people to watch all the movies that I do, yeah - that's childish in a way, but I'd like to see movies as my possession, the movies I watch and love are completely my property) but I think this is a good time to break that rule. Here's a list of the movies I watched:

  • Dark Star (Highly Recommended, this low budget sci-fi is a must for intelligent life forms, the last ten minutes of the movie has got me cracking up since the last three days, whenever I think of it. A review might follow some day. John Carpenter's finest)
  • Assault on Precinct 13 (John Carpenter again, with finest doubling as an adjective here too)
  • F for Fake (Not so qualified to talk about this movie yet, this video can be a nice example as to why )

  • Last Year in Marienbad (Same reasoning of the above applies here)
  • Forrest Gump (Obvious)
  • Brazil (Requires an essential second viewing, like all the other movies on the list, to get the dry, dark humor [and tragedy] right, but Terry Gilliam is a man who doesn't dream like one.)
  • Dead & Buried (The Dan O' Bannon connection is purely coincidental though the John Carpenter thing was pretty intentional, but a good horror movie if the huge holes in the script are ignored.)
  • Hazaaron Khwaishein Aisi (Baader-Meinhof meets Mani Ratnam)

And I'll leave you this tragi-comic theme song from Dark Star, something that might be a draw good enough to the movie itself.